MY OTHER BLOG

If you got here because I commented and you were directed to this blog, it is because Blogger will not show both blogs. So you can get to my Pat's Posts, by clicking this link..my miscellany, the first blog while this is just about books.

Sunday, June 20, 2021

Poland by James A Michener

 

This was the third time I have read this masterpiece, all 556 pages and I believe this time I got more out of it than ever.  I began to read it on December 19, 2021 in my new era of widowhood, all alone now. Usually I pull a classic lengthy tome from my study during the summer but this was to be a long cold  winter for me. So I went to the shelves of the study and saw Poland,  time to read it again.  I am glad I did.  

It took me until March 4, 2021 although I did  not read daily and did have another book or so interspersed. Maybe it is my fascination with my full 100% Polish ancestry, my genealogy searches , or my being the last of the family that  leads me to savor so much of this history.  I have always been a Michener fan and have every book he has ever written on my study shelf.  This novel about Poland was  published 1983 and I have my original First Edition, handback.  It was not considered one of his best but to me it is outstanding.  I savored every piece of history along with the fictional characters.  Beginning and ending in the Forest of Szczek, and Buk vs Bukowski the novel tells tales of the Polish people.  From the Tatars whom even Genghis Khan could not subdue (pag. 25)  all through to the Russian tanks withdrawal into the forest in December 1981.  

Maps inside the book, back hard cover.  History here as now in 2021 the names of the countries are different as are the boundaries.  



 


Above are the cover flaps which I still have with my copy, this gives a decent summary. 

To the right a Book Review from 1984 a  Northern California newspaper where we lived.  I have several clippings inside the book which I have kept for years.

Although I purchased my copy just as soon as it was available. back before Amazon through an old time Bookstore where a proprietor ordered newest books for customers. Another bit of history of life that  is  long gone.  Today so much on e-readers.,  So many books are published  in e-editions only.  But back then, books were books .  And although I do have a Kindle app and read some things on it, I still prefer to hold a book in my lap to read.


And last a  two part copy of the review I clipped and saved from the Chicago Sun Times

For some reason Blogger is twisting the order of these 2, the photo is part 1 and the  other columns are part 2 and I am tired of trying to get it adjusted, I have cut and reinserted, but Blogger is being weird so I will let this be. 












And now Poland has returned to my library shelf with the rest of the Michener books. Who knows what I will reread next or when I will read this again. 

 

No comments:

Post a Comment