MY OTHER BLOG

If you got here because I commented and you were directed to this blog, it is because Blogger will not show both blogs. So you can get to my Pat's Posts, by clicking this link..my miscellany, the first blog while this is just about books.

Saturday, December 17, 2016

Sisi by Katryn Unterreiner

In Vienna last year I toured among other places, the  stunning Schonbrunn Palace, hope of the Hapsburgs in Vienna and there  saw and hear a lot of Sisi, or Empress Elizabeth,  she was a recluse of sorts and died young.  She was born in Munich in 1837  and died in 1898.  Her designation was Empress of Hungary.  I picked up this small book about her.  She was a woman quite ahead of her time but still rather odd.  She was avid about physical exercise and  remaining trim.  Yest she had a very restless spirit and often was away from her husband and children. Someday I would love to read a real saga about the Hapsburg family.  This is more of a booklet at only 125 pages.  Many interesting pictures.  The author is a famed  Austrian Historian and referred to movies popular in Europe about Sisi's life, but I have never  seen nor heard of those here in the US.  I did  buy replica pins and earrings of the Hapsburg stars made famous by Sisi,  locals claim she often gave these to people.  Of course mine are only Swarovski crystal while the originals were diamonds. 
Picture and first page
 



The booklet was an interesting read and gives just a glimpse into her life and the lifestyle.  I passed it along to a friend whom I met on the trip.  I gave it 4 **** stars.

No comments:

Post a Comment